Thursday, August 19, 2010

YIKES!

Ok, today's post has nothing to do with scrapbooking..or crafts for that fact.  It has to do with what I found hanging at eye level in my front tree (okay, our only hardwood tree).....
Yes, a hornet's nest, just like in the cartoons when the bees chase you in one big swarm!  In MY FRONT YARD!!  We found it Sunday after going to the White Sox game. I went online to see how to remove it, and after watching some greatly hilarious videos of removal, decided to call the exterminator!  Being the curious out-doors lady,  had to snap this pictures before he came.  I was about 5 feet away when I snapped these...
The hornets were magnificent, and I had NEVER seen a nest in person.   Well then Jason got there..and he freaked me out...cause he wouldn't even get within 15 yards of it!  He started by telling me, how aggressive the Bald-faced hornet (my new neighbors) were and that they didn't lose their stingers and could sting you over & over & over & over.  They have a pheromone that sends out distress signals to their buddies, which causes them to attack.  Hope you enjoy the pictures, cause I don't think I'll ever get that close again!the rest of these were taken through the window of the front door!

 So Jason suited up..and began his assault on the nest.
 while it just looks like a water hose, it was pressurized and had bug killer in it.  Note the spray can in his hand...when one came at him, he sprayed them with big time bug killer!  It went fairly fast,
the inside was made of paper nest..here he is holding 1/3 of it...look at the size in his hands..it was HUGE!!    Anyway, that was my excitement for the week!    Hope I didn't creep any one out too bad.  Till next time...dream sweet dreams, not hornet ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.

My real Merriest Tree Blog

     Hello Dreamers! Let's try this with a little more detail and some design elements in it! I wanted to make it home in time to make t...